History of the housing authority
The Housing Authority of Grant County was founded in the middle of World War II after the Grant County Board of Commissioners passed a resolution declaring a need for the agency.
With a start in the wartime housing industry, the Housing Authority secured financing in 1950 to build its first federally-funded Public Housing Project.
Over the years, more projects were built, and in 1977, 1,186 units of U.S. Air Force housing in the Larson Subdivision outside Moses Lake were purchased. This was a bold and innovative move that ultimately fostered affordable homeownership for several hundred county residents who bought homes from the Housing Authority and significantly expanded the local rental market.
In the next few years, continued innovation will be critical as federal support for Housing Authorities declines and state and local budgets try to recover from the first recession of the new millennium.
The Housing Authority of Grant County is committed to meeting these challenges by becoming more self-sufficient and creative in order to accomplish the goals of providing affordable housing, fostering homeownership and helping out communities grow. To do this we will need to engage new community partnerships and work even more closely with our stakeholders. The Board of Commissioners and staff of our Housing Authority look to the future with confidence.